Officials with Bayfest, the annual October music festival in Mobile, dropped perhaps their most impressive lineup yet for the 20th annual festival, set for Oct. 3-5 in downtown Mobile.
Among the highlights of the eclectic lineup:
• Invigorating indie rockers Foster the People, whose “Pumped Up Kicks” was a crossover smash.
• Grammy-winning singer/songwriter CeeLo Green, a former coach on “The Voice” whose smash songs like “Forget You” and “Crazy” (the latter with the group Gnarls Barkley) combine elements of R&B, hip-hop and alternative rock.
• Legendary country act Alabama, whose historic career includes topping the Billboard Country Songs chart a whopping 34 times.
• Eclectic rocker Kid Rock, an area favorite whose audience encompasses fans of country, rock and hip-hop for hits like “All Summer Long,” “Bawitdaba” and “Cowboy.”
• Alternative rock favorites Stone Temple Pilots, who have replaced original lead singer Scott Weiland with Linkin Park frontman Chester Bennington to perform their classic material, including hits like “Plush” and “Interstate Love Song.”
• Iconic R&B group Earth, Wind and Fire, whose history dates back 45 years and includes such timeless songs as “September,” “Shining Star” and “Boogie Wonderland.”
• Hugely popular country singer-songwriter Brantley Gilbert, whose country chart-toppers include “Bottoms Up,” “You Don’t Know Her Like I Do” and “Country Must Be Country Wilde.”
These acts top a list of several dozen playing on stages across the downtown Mobile area over three days. Bayfest typicall features local and regional acts during daylight hours, moving toward national acts as the sun starts to set. Late evenings will include acts like country hitmakers Thompson Square; rappers Bone Thugs-N-Harmony and Ludacris; alt-rock favorites AFI; and rock icon Joan Jett & the Blackhearts.
Weekend passes are available at http://www.bayfest.com and Mobile area Circle K stores for $60 through Sept. 19. After that date, the price rises to $80. Day passes at the festival gates are $40 per day. Children 12 and younger are admitted free with a ticketed adult.
For more information, visit http://www.bayfest.com.